Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center nurse Susie Tucker became one of only two clinical caregivers – among thousands employed by the company – to be honored when she was recently named Signature HealthCARE ‘Nurse of the Year’ for 2013.
The other honoree was José Matos, a Certified Nursing Assistant at Signature HealthCARE of Palm Beach, in Lake Worth, Fla., who was named ‘CNA of the Year.’
The process for the awards began in January, when facility Administrators and Nursing Directors were asked to nominate their top CNAs and nurses. A cross-departmental selection committee reviewed nominees, and a group of finalists representing each of Signature’s segments, or facility divisions, were asked to submit an essay about what their job meant to them.
The finalists were:
2013 CNA of the Year
- José Matos, Post Acute, SHC of Palm Beach
- Wanda Ortiz, Urban, Peninsula Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Cenella Butts, Rural, Washington Rehabilitation & Nursing Center
2013 Nurse of the Year
- Xanthea McKenzie, Post Acute, SHC of Buckhead
- Susie Tucker, Urban, Bluegrass Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Samantha Ward, Rural, Washington Rehabilitation & Nursing Center
Finalists each received a special set of scrubs with a special badge identifying them as a winner for their segment. The two overall winners received a second set of special scrubs and $1,000 cash.
“Susie is always the first to volunteer to help anyone,” said Catina Harris, Assistant Director of Nursing at Bluegrass Care & Rehab. “She truly loves and enjoys every minute of care that she gets to provide to our residents. She has been a great nurse to work with over the years, and I am proud to have her on our team.”